Mr. Myette's Lord of the Flies Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chapter 1 Responses

+20
Chris_sawyer
Mekhi
Karen P
Zhiwei Huang
TheShadow
MNguyen23
aya
EthanGomez
its.amy.13
donovandj1025
Megan G
MichaelNguyenPer4
cesar.ca
Cory James
_Karlitos :v
BrandonN
Johnson chen
SamZiegler
Admin
AMyette
24 posters

Go down

Chapter 1 Responses Empty Chapter 1 Responses

Post by AMyette Thu May 18, 2017 9:42 am

Here are my chapter 1 responses:

AMyette

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1 Responses Empty Re: Chapter 1 Responses

Post by Admin Mon May 22, 2017 11:30 am

Chapter 1:

Vocabulary and Text Structure
Why does Golding use the word "fair" (page 7) to describe Ralph?

Golding uses the word "fair" here because it not only means light-colored hair, but "balanced and just" in making decisions.

Admin
Admin

https://lordofthefliesmytai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1 Responses Empty This is Kinda How It works...

Post by Admin Mon May 22, 2017 11:42 am

...any questions?

Admin
Admin

https://lordofthefliesmytai.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SamZiegler Tue May 23, 2017 4:39 pm

Key Details
How did the author develop the narrative?
The first few pages of the book are just Ralph and Piggy, which establishes their backstories, morals, and friendship. We see right away that Ralph is someone that people can look up to, and him blowing the conch is him asserting that he is in change. The others come when he blows the conch and the first assembly starts. This is the most civilized state that the tribe is ever in, with a vote for chief and job delegation. This is done so that the deterioration of civilization later in the book is obviously seen. We are also introduced to Jack, who we see is entitled and prideful, and is instantly embarrassed by losing the vote to become chief. This already gives him a reason to dislike Ralph, and we also see that he is annoyed by Piggy. The power struggle between Ralph and Jack is apparent from the beginning, yet they do get along a bit in the beginning, with a mutual respect for each other. The first chapter sets up every main storyline in the book, and develops the backstories very well.
Author's Purpose
What is the author's purpose for writing - entertain, inform, persuade? How do you know?
Golding's purpose is both to inform and to entertain. The story itself is entertaining, with a good idea and good characters to make it entertaining. The deeper meaning of the book is to inform. It shows what mankind can turn into without rules to govern them. These very proper English boys turn into savages, and hunt each other just because they don't like how Ralph was running things. They don't like Ralph's strict rules, and instead go with Jack's relaxed way of living, with the only responsibility of hunting. This informs the reader about what someone will do when they can either live with rules that benefit them, or no rules which harms them.
Golding uses the title, The Sound of the Shell, for chapter one. This is done to show what brought the boys together in the first place, hearing Ralph blow to conch. This also is what made Ralph the chief, the sound of the conch, which represents Ralph's power. The conch also represents civilization and rules, the first rule they make is that whoever has the conch gets to speak. As the conch becomes irrelevant, so does the rules and society in general. Without the conch, nothing really holds the boys in line.
Word Study:
Clamor (pg. 22) Jack started to protest but the clamor changed from the general wish for a chief to an election by acclaim of Ralph himself.
If there is a clamor, there is a group of people shouting loudly.
At the party, at group of people clamored for attention.
Effulgence (pg. 14) With that word the heat seemed to increase till it became a threating weight and the lagoon attacked them with blinding effulgence.
If something is effulgent, it is shining very brightly.
The brand new penny was shining with a bright effulgence.
Indignation (pg. 25) Piggy stood and the rose of indignation faded slowly from his cheeks.
If someone is indignant, they are angry or annoyed by unfair treatment.
Joe was indignant after not being promoted to supervisor.

SamZiegler

Back to top Go down

Post by Johnson chen Tue May 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Author's Purpose
What is the author's purposr for writing - entertain, inform, persuade? How do you know?
Golding's purpose is to inform and entertain because the story starts off with a boy being describe by words like fair and when Piggy comes in he entertains us by making fun of Piggy's speaking because he can't say asthma correctly. Basically Golding entertains the readers by describing his characters and to inform us on how the boys make their own government and the way Ralph wants to rule to the way Jack wants to rule. This tells the reader the consequences of living a corrupted government to a not corrupted government.
Inferences
Where does the text leave matters uncertain or unstated?
When Golding introduces Piggy, Ralph asks what's his name and Piggy doesn't really answer the question but instead says he doesn't want to be called like what they used to call him back at school. He never really tells Ralph whay his name is that's why Ralph calls him Piggy but I wonder if he will ever stated his name. Also Golding talks a lot about Piggy's background and some of Ralph's background but the readers don't know why their plane crash because all we know is that Piggy said that they were attacked when they were in the plane. He also said something dark and big hit the plane's wing when he was looking at the window but we never how they crashed. Maybe its the beast.
Golding uses the title, The Sound of the Shell, for chapter one because the conch was the first thing that Ralph and Piggy found on the island and when Ralph blows on the other kids that were hiding came out to see it was safe because Ralph blow the conch. When they found the conch Ralph made himself leader since he found the conch because the first rule he created as chief was whoever has the conch gets to talk. So basically the conch was the start to this whole group of kids life on the island. Also in Spongebob the conch is very powerful because in Spongebob when Spongebob and Patrick were lost. They ask the conch for help and the conch answered and started helping their lives in the forest.
Word Study
Swathe (pg. 14) Sleep enveloped him like the swathing mirages that were wrestling with the brilliance of the lagoon.
If something is being swathe, it is being wrap in several layers of fabric.
Decorous (pg. 15) Suddenly Piggy was a-bubble with decorous excitement.
If someone or something is decorous, it in keeping with good taste and propriety; polite and restrained.
Surmounted (pg. 26) The most usual feature of the rock was a pink cliff surmounted by a skewed block.
If something is surmounted, it is a difficult obstacle to go through.

Johnson chen

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandonN Tue May 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Inferences
The author does not go into detail why the shell has so much meaning, or why all the boys are near the beach when ralph blows into the shell when the island is more than big enough for the boys to wonder off and not be able to hear the shell. Also why the shell stands goes to who's talking.
Author's Purpose
What is the author's purpose for writing entertain, inform, persuade? How do you know?
The purpose for writing this book is clearly for entertainment reading about boys/kids stranded on a island trying to survive and find a way off or get rescued. Entertainment like the boys trying to give each other rules to survive like a society trying to be civil.
The author used the title "The sound of the shell" as the chapter name because the sound of the shell has a powerful meaning in chapter one its the thing that gathers all the boys together and keeps them civil.
Indignation (pg. 25) indignation faded slowly from his cheeks
If someone is indignant, they are irritated.
My cousion makes me indignant.
Squealed (pg. 17) Squealed and ran under
If someone squealed they make a long, high-pitched cry or noise.
Baby pigs squeal often.
Concentration (pg. 14) concentration alterd pale contous
If someone gives you their concentration they give you their attention.
My brother has a strong concentration when the subject of maps is talked about.

BrandonN

Back to top Go down

Post by _Karlitos :v Wed May 24, 2017 10:05 pm

* Text depending questions
-Vocabulary & Text structure
When is figurative language and to what effect?
Figurative language is used in pg. 7 , in this passage: "All round him the long scar smashed into the jungle was a bath of heat."
Golding used the phrase "long scar smashed" to describe the area where the airplane, in which Ralph and the other boys were traveling, crashed. Because from my pespective, the word "scar" connotes damage and violence, and the crash of an airplane is always going to be violent and cause several damage arround the impacted area.
Also, he used the phrase "bath of heat" since from my perspective, the connotation of "bath" refers to something abundant that wraps or daubs you exaggeratedly; and Golding used this connotation for saying that the heat ,which was coming out from the airplane crash zone, was  atrocious.
-Inferences
Where does the author leave matters uncertain or unstated?
The author leaves unstated why didn't Piggy reveal his real name and instead, introduced himself as Piggy. In pg. 11, in these sentences "'I expect we'll want to know all their names. I don't care what they call me, so long as they don't call me what they used to call me at school. They used to call me 'Piggy.'" More specifically; it seems strange that Piggy, instead of straightforwardly introducing himself with his real name, chooses to introduce himself with a nickname he "doesn't like."
-Why did the author titled the first chapter as "The Sound of the Shell"?
From my perspective, the author titled the first chapter as "The Sound of the Shell" because this chapter focuses a lot in introduccing the characters, which appear (exept Ralph and Piggy) in the story for the first time when Ralph blows the shell and they come to see who is producing the sound. Also, the sound of the shell gives power to who blew it, which is so relevant to one of the story's main points, which is the conflict between Ralph and Jack for being the leader of (and have power over) the group of boys.
-Words I don't know (there are tens of words I dont know because english is not my first language, but I choosed to work with just 5 of them).
*Grin (pg. eight): "In the middle of the scar he stood on his head and grinned at the reversed fat boy." Friendly definition of _grin: When you make a broad smile, you are grinning. Sentence with grin: I grinned for the picture.
*Jagged (pg. eight): "The fair boy reached out and touched the jagged end of a trunk." Friendly definition of _jagged: Something that has a harsh/rough surface. Sentence: I sat down in a jagged chair; it was so unconfortable.
*enmity (pg. 14): "He trotted through the sand, enduring the sun's enmity, crossed the platform and found his scattered clothes." Friendly definition of _enmity: The feeling when you are opposed or hostil to someone. Sentence: There is an strange enmity between he and his neighbor.
*Delighted (pg. 10):"He patted the palm trunk softly, and, forced at last to believe in the reality of the island laughted delightedly again and stood on his head." Friendly definition of _Delighted: Someone delighted is someone very satisfied and happy. Sentence: She always looks so delighted; her life should be so perfect.
*Shimmering (pg 10): "Ralph stood, one hand against a grey trunk, and screwed up his eyes against the shimmering water." Friendly definition of _shimmering: Something that shines or glistens. Sentence : It was a pleasure to see my own reflection on the shimmering river.

_Karlitos :v

Back to top Go down

Post by Cory James Thu May 25, 2017 10:09 pm

Text Depending Questions:
Inferences
In chapter 1 piggy after asking for ralphs name says that he doesn't care what ralph calls him as long as ralph doesn't call him piggy. Ralph, despite the fact that piggy told him not to call him that name, calls him piggy. Throughout the whole chapter we never really get to know his name.

Vocabulary and text structure
Why does the author start and stop where he does?
I think Golding starts the chapter where he does to create a sense of curiosity from the reader. He choses to start the book after the plane crash leaving the reader to wonder what happened to these kids to leave them stuck on an island. where he ends the chapter kind of signifies the beginning of the end of their rule system that they have established.

I think Golding names chapter 1 "the sound of the shell" because the sound of the shell is what first brought them together. The shell represents the rules that they have established, like whoever is holding the shell gets to talk. I think the shell not only represents what brought them together but also represents the rules of their society.

Cory James

Back to top Go down

Post by cesar.ca Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 pm

1. Where does the text leaves matters uncertain or unstated?
--The text leaves matters on page 11 when Piggy is asked for his name by Ralph, and he being a key character of the history doesn´t give his actual name. He prefers being called as Piggy becouse his physical complexture. But the conch does benefit him. Without rules and order, people like Piggy get squashed. With the conch, everyone gets a fair chance. If he's holding the conch, it doesn't matter if he's fat and uathletic. His voice matters just as much as enyone else's.
2. What is the significance of the conch?
--At the beginnig of the story, Ralph finds a shell as they were walking out of the sea, but Piggy tells him how to use it but doesn't use it for himself becouse he's too weak physically to use it (becouse of his asthma); they decided to call it conch. The conch symbolizes leadership for who ever has it. It's what brought the boys together and Ralph thinks that with it in his possesion, that he is all powerful person.
3. Why Piggy didn't vote for Ralph at first?
--Piggy didn't vote at first for Ralph, because he wanted to be voted for. Being the smarter boy in the group with many ideas in mind, he thought he would be a better chief than Ralph and Jack. But seeing all the hands voting for Ralph, he thought he wouldn't get any votes and Ralph would make a good chief. Ralph had fair hair, a prominent tummy, wide and heavy shoulders. He was the person to be introduced to us; I think the writter did this because Ralph is the main character of the novel.

Vocabulary words:

1. Efflorescense, (12) "It was clear to the bottom  and bright with the efflorescense of tropical weed and coral.": blooming of flowers, state of flowering.

2. Enmity, (14) "He trotted through the sand, enduring the sun's...": Deep seated hatred;State of being an enemy.

3. Decorous, (15) "Suddenly Piggy was a-bubble with decorous excitement.": Exhibiting appropriate behavior or conduct.

cesar.ca

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelNguyenPer4 Fri May 26, 2017 11:12 am

Inferences
William Golding states Ralph name when Piggy isn't. (Not his real name) Piggy asks Ralph (9) "What's your name?" Piggy and Ralph is both their first time meeting each other. When Piggy asks Ralph his name, but why doesn't Ralph asks Piggy real name? Even though Piggy tells Ralph that the name Piggy is a name that many at school use Piggy as a name to make fun of him.
Author's Purpose
What's the author's purpose for writing - entertain, inform, persuade? How do you know?
This starts as a group of boys trap on an island. No adults. The boys began to become a civilization, but has issues of who is permanently choses as a leader. It's always Ralph vs Jack with what the group is doing as the group continues on.
Why did Golding titled the first chapter "The Sound of the Shell"?
The title represents about the shell when it is found by Ralph and Piggy. When it's blown by Ralph or who's going to blow on it. The chapter begins that "the shell" referred to here is, in fact, the conch that is used to call the boys to a gathering.
Penetration (27) "...left little but tunnels for further penetration."
Definition - to pierce or pass into or through
Sentence - Someone threw a ball over the building causing a penetration of terror.
Obedient (20) "Wearily obedient, the choir huddled into..."
Defintion - to comply with or follow the commands, restrictions, wishes, or instructions of
Sentence - If someone was obedient, you should allow him or her to join the army.
Prominent (10) "...have lost the prominent tummy of childhood..."
Defintion - standing out so as to be seen easily; conspicuous; particularly noticeable
Sentence - If you are a prominent member of society, you will surely get an invitation from DC.

MichaelNguyenPer4

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1 Responses Empty Chapter 1 Responses

Post by Megan G Fri May 26, 2017 2:55 pm

Inferences

-The author doesn't tell us what Piggy's real name is. He tells Ralph not to call him Piggy but, uninterested and very amused with the name piggy, continues to call him Piggy.

Vocabulary & Text Structure
Why does the author start and stop where he does?

-I think he starts the chapter like the way he does to introduce us to the boys and the relationship they have with each other. I think he stops when he does to build up the suspense and to get his readers to want to continue reading.

I think he names the first chapter "The Sound of the Shell" because the sound of the shell that Ralph blew into brings the boys together. The shell represents the set of rules they have and it helps maintain order in their little world.

Vocabulary Words
1. clambering (pg. 7) "He was clambering heavily among the creepers and broken trunks..."
friendly definition - climb, move, or get in or out of something in an awkward and laborious way, typically using both hands and feet.

2. proffer (pg. 9) "The fat boy waited to be asked his name in turn but this proffer of acquaintance was not made;"
friendly definition - hold out (something) to someone for acceptance; offer.

3. effulgence (pg. 14) "With that word the heat seemed to increase till it became a threatening weight and the lagoon attacked them with a blinding effulgence
friendly definition - the quality of being bright and sending out rays of light

4. decorous (pg. 15) "Suddenly Piggy was a-bubble with decorous excitement"
friendly definition - in keeping with good taste and propriety; polite and restrained.

5.efflorescence (pg. 12) "It was clear to the bottom and bright with the efflorescence of tropical weed and coral."
friendly definition - an example or result of growth and development

Megan G

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1 Responses Empty Chapter One Response

Post by donovandj1025 Fri May 26, 2017 5:40 pm

1.Inferences(Where does the text leave matters uncertain or uncertain?)
"I don't care what they call me...so long as they don't call me what they used to call me at school...They used to call me Piggy."(Page.11) During the encounterment between Ralph and Piggy we do not find out what Piggy's actual birth name is. Throughout the entire story he is called Piggy and nothing else.
2.Vocabulary and Text Structure(Why may have the author chosen one word over another)
"The suffusion drained away from Jack's face.(Page.22) Jack is embarrassed when Ralph is chosen over him to be leader.  I think Golding used this because it makes it seem like a more serious tone rather than saying the red in his cheeks drained his face.
Golding uses "The Sound of The Shell" because on pages 15-16 Ralph and Piggy find a shell which is called the conch. Ralph blows into the conch and it alerts the rest of the boys on the island. Also during the book when the boys have meetings, if you are holding the conch in your hand that notifies the rest of the boys that it is your turn to speak
(1) Interposed(p.15) If someone is interposing something then they are intervening or stepping in between something or some people. "...his day-dream still interposed between him and Piggy..."
(2)Indignation(p.25) If some is indignant they are angry or annoyed. The letter filled Lucy with
indignation.
(3)Diminishingly(p.24) If something diminishes then it starts to become less and decrease. Often piled diminishinlgy on each other.

donovandj1025

Back to top Go down

Post by its.amy.13 Sat May 27, 2017 12:09 pm

When is figurative language used and to what effect?
            Pg. 17 the shell has some sort of other meaning behind the fact that it is a shell. I think it stands for order like a when a judge smacks his gavel to silence the court. Ralph uses the conch to call everyone to a meeting, and while he holds it, the other children know to stay quiet. He uses it to create a system of reason and stability. The creature on page 19 was not only just kids dressed in black from head to toe, but they represented the devil in human form. Even just by how they were described by the author and what they were wearing leads the readers to believe that the blacked cloaked figures are going to be up to no good. Pg. 31 the pure fact that the children could not go through with killing the pig meant that Jack still had his morals straight and his innocence. In this scene, the readers get to see how truly young and naive the children actually are when it comes to trying to take a life for their hunger.

Chapter 1- Sound of the Shell
Indicating the shell was the whole start of things. The sound of the shell is what called the meeting, which maintained the order, the stability, the way of things. The shell is the glue that held everything together. I think without the shell and it's automatic reign of obedience the story would not have begun the way it did. Without the shell, it would have just been a boy yelling at everyone to be quiet and listen to his speech about how they need rules. The shell got the attention of even the older boys, which kept them quiet because they wanted to know what Ralph would do with the shell. So sound of the shell is a great title for chapter one because of how much the shell and its sound has impacted the story line.

1. Mirages(25)- "Now, toward the end of the afternoon, the mirages were settling a little."
an optical illusion caused by atmospheric conditions
2. Foliage(9)-"and crouched down among the tangled foliage."
plant leaves, collectively.
3. Incredulous(19)- "They were twins, and the eye was shocked and incredulous at such cheery duplication."
of a person unwilling or unable to believe something.

Last edited by its.amy.13 on Sun May 28, 2017 11:55 pm; edited 3 times in total

its.amy.13

Back to top Go down

Post by EthanGomez Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 pm

Does the meaning of words go beyond the denoted meaning?
What is the connotative meaning of the words?
-At the beginning of the book, the author describes the main character (Ralph) as ''fair hair'' referring basically to his hair color, but as the book continues, the word fair hair also refers to Ralph's way of being, he is an equitable and reasonable kid that wants good for everybody else in the island

How can meaning be altered by changing key words
-On page 18, the author introduce a very important character, he called him ''dark little boy''. In this case he is not referring to the kid's race or something physical but psychological, normally people say that bad people has a dark soul, it is the same thing here, Golding is describing this kid as evil, as someone who has bad intentions.

Golding called this chapter ''The Sound of the Shell'' because is the moment when Ralph and Piggy find the conch which later on is going to become a symbol of leadership and the thing that unite all the kids in the island.

1. Mutter (pg 18): If you mutter, you speak very quietly so that you cannot easily be heard.
-Piggy muttered the name to himself and then shouted it to Ralph
2. Envious (pg 12): If you are envious of someone, you want something that he or she have.
-Piggy appeared again, sat on the rocky ledge, and watched Ralph's green and white body enviously
3. Garment (pg 19): A garment is a piece of clothing, used especially in contexts where you are talking about the manufacture or sale of clothes.
-Shorts, shirts, and different garments they carried in their hands

EthanGomez

Back to top Go down

Post by aya Sun May 28, 2017 3:58 pm

1) Vocabulary and text structure- Why does the author begin and end when they do?
On page 7, the author begins by introducing Ralph, he describes him as the boy with fair hair, kind of giving him the image of good. On page 31, the author ends with jack talking about killing the pig they saw while they went on their journey. “He snatched his knife out of the sheath and slammed it into a tree trunk. Next time there would be no mercy. He looked around fiercely, daring them to contradict.” In contrast, this gives jack the image of evil, or bad. I think the author began and ended that way because he was trying to show the point of the book. Good vs. evil.
2) Inferences- Where does the text leave matters uncertain or unstated?
The author leaves matters uncertain throughout this whole chapter or even book. On page 8, piggy says, “There was that pilot. But he wasn’t in the passenger cabin. He was up in front.” We can figure out that they were on a plane that crashed and landed them on an island. But the author doesn’t say how the plane crashed, and what is happening in the world at that time.

This chapter is named “The Sound of The Shell” because the shell piggy and Ralph found helped them gather everyone that was lost on the island. It brought them together to figure out where they were and how to survive.

1) Ambition ( Cool - If someone has an ambition, they have a strong desire to do or to achieve something.
- The fair boy said this solemnly; but then the delight of a realized ambition overcame him.
2) Proffer (9) – If you proffer, you hold out something to someone for acceptance.
- The fat boy waited to be asked his name in turn but this proffer of acquaintance was not made.
3) Fledged (9) – Something that is fledged, is a thing having just taken on the role specified.
- The shore was fledged with palm trees.

aya

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1 Responses Empty Chapter one responses

Post by MNguyen23 Sun May 28, 2017 6:16 pm

Inferences
Where does the text leaves matters uncertain or stated?
On pg 11 piggy asks for Ralphs name and throughout the whole story, we still don't know what piggys real name is due to how Ralph is calling him by his nickname or characteristics.

Vocab-Text Structure

How can meaning be altered by changing key words?
On pg 18,the author gives us a character named Johnny. The way words were changed-altered was by how he was described as dark little boy in which he isn't described by his race but his potential evilness.

Ambition- To have a strong desire to accomplish something
Strident-To be loud and harsh
Octave-To be descried in a stanza-poem

MNguyen23

Back to top Go down

Post by TheShadow Sun May 28, 2017 7:10 pm

Inferences:
Where does the text leave the matters uncertain or unstated?
Well, in chapter 1 page 11, Ralph start to talk to a kid that he didn't knew of before starts to provide each introductions to one another, although Ralph had referred kid as "Piggy" which what he used to be called. Although, he had told Ralph about his nickname he never told Ralph his real name which is unknown mostly through out the story and hasn't been spoke of. "They used to call me 'Piggy'''.

Vocabulary & Text Structure:
What role do the individual paragraphs, sentences, phrases, or words play?
In pages 28-29 the individual paragraphs and everything else plays a role which sets a mood in the setting for the characters and the readers. For example, "They found a piglet caught in a curtain of creepers, throwing itself at the elastic traces in all madness if extreme terror." Which the words in the sentences provide a mood for the readers of what the island is like where the kids are currently such as a disgusted and fearful mood.

The reason why he called chapter 1 the "The Sound of the Shell" was when in page 15, when Ralph started to walk around the beach he found a conch which allowed him to call everybody on the island from the plane crash creating the start of the story which is from the "Sound of the Shell" which it eh conch.

Contour: In page 9, this word means the outline of a figure or body. (noun) "An expression of pain and inward concentration altered the pale contours of his face. Example, the contour of my brother is really fat.

Foliage: In page 9, this word means the leaves of the plant. (noun) "He put on his glasses, waded away from Ralph, and crouched down among the tangled foliage." Example, The foliage in the jungle are being teared apart.

Coarse: In page 9, this word means something that is composed of relatively large parts or particles. (adjective) "The ground beneath them was a bank covered with coarse grass..." Example, the coarse ground was a huge land of fertile soil, which allowed the plants to grow faster.

TheShadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Zhiwei Huang Sun May 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Vocabulary & Text Structure
How does organization contribute to meaning?
In chapter one Golding had Ralph and Piggy meet first. As we talked about in class Piggy represents intelligence and Ralph represents order and leadership. These two things work well together which is why it is important for them to establish a relationship.
When is figurative language used and to what effect?
On page 21 it says, "A storm of laughter..." the word storm is the figurative part of the sentence and it is to mean chaos and harm to Piggy because the kids are laughing at him.

Golding uses the title "The Sound of the Shell" for chapter one because the shell is the conch and we discussed that the conch is used as a symbol for order and organization. So the sound of the conch is also the sound of order and organization. Because the kids on the island are all looking for adults and order they go to the sound of the conch and find a leader.

Prominent-to be prominent is to be important or projected and protruding. (page 10) "...lost the prominent tummy of childhood..."
efflorescence-Something that is the efflorescence of something is the effect or growth of. (page 12) "...bright with the efflorescence of tropical weed and coral."
eccentric-Something eccentric is strange or different. (page 19) "...dressed in strangely eccentric clothing."

Zhiwei Huang

Back to top Go down

Post by Karen P Mon May 29, 2017 7:46 pm

General Understanding
• What is the Key idea/theme of the text?
The beginning of a group of kids with the increasing idea of having rules to live by, were they come from a situation of evilness made by Man. Ralph gets happy when he realizes that there aren't any adults on the island on page 8 talking with piggy. Starting to build up a system based on man's society rules, were normally evil is made because of our bad system, Ralph made a system following adult ideas (adults that created the war), eventually they brought evilness or disorganization to another place.
Key details?
• Which details support the Key idea? Look for the who? What? When? Where? Why? How much? How many?
On page 22 is easy to realize the one percent of the population that represents the evilness. On the same page Ralph advocates grownups rules applying the vote to make a decision manipulated because of the superficial appearance of the 'Chief' by the way this demonstrates the way human make decision, voting for who looks better not knowing who the person is.
Also on page 29 Ralph says "This belongs to us" the thought of power and belonging that might lead the group to desire more power and finally evil.
Golding's reason to name the Chapter "The Sound of the Shell" is because the importance when Ralph blew the conch ad the start of a group in representation as humanity and start of people in need of laws and organization.
Word study:
Acquaintance (page 9): "The fat boy waited to be asked his name in turn but this proffer of acquaintance was not made;..."
A person's knowledge or experience of something.
Hiatus (pag. 31): "There came a pause, a hiatus, the pig continued to scream and thecreepers to jerk, and the blade continued to flash at the end of a bony arm."
A pause or gap in a sequence, series, or process.
Reluctance (page 11): "Piggy grinned reluctantly, pleased despite himself at even this much recognition."
Unwillingness or disinclination to do something.

Karen P

Back to top Go down

Post by Mekhi Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 pm

Text dependent questions
1. How can meaning be altered by changing key words?
on page 7 he used the word plump instead of fat or chubby i think he did that because when you use those words it sounds to plain and boring so when you read plump it give imagery
2. Are there any shifts or patterns in the writing? Look for signal words and phrases.
on page 11 the book repats the word pigy multiple times because the are making fun of piggy because he s fat

he named the chapter "the sound of the shell because this is when they find the shell and start to use it

proffer- a proposal
"the fat boy waited to be asked his name in turn but this proffer of acquaintance was not made..." page 9
I wanted to make a proffer but i was scared
Apprehension- anxiety or fear
" piggy clasped his hands in Apprehension." on page 11
i was in Apprehension because i was getting laughed at.
enduring- long lasting
"...enduring the suns enmity..." page 14
I was enduring n the moment

Mekhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_sawyer Tue May 30, 2017 9:41 pm

text dependent questions
1 where does the text leave matters uncertain or unstated
on page 11 Ralph never asked piggy what his name was all we learned was his nick name which he hated (piggy)
2 who's story/perspective is not represented Simon's perspective was not shown he is a character that represents something but does not have i big voice/say on whats happens
the author name the chapter "the sound of the shell" because the shell brought everyone together and the shell symbolizes society
word study
1 page 19 crept if you were to crept somewhere you would slowly sneak there. He crept in to the class room
2 page 15 line 24 ferny if it looks like a fern it is ferny. that plant is ferny.
3 page 16 line 36 jutting if it extends out beyond the main body it is jutting. a narrow strip of land juts out of the bay.

Chris_sawyer

Back to top Go down

Chapter 1 Responses Empty :)

Post by Broken Glasses Wed May 31, 2017 10:21 pm

Vocab Words
eccentric: a behavior that is strange or unique
foliage: a large group of leaves
muddled: a state of confusion or bewilderment

Why is the chapter called "The sound of the shell"? Well, simply if nothing else the main thing we are told is the importance of the conch. It represents the unity and how boys will be willing to work with one another to survive and get rescued. Off the bat, everyone is willing to assist for the betterment of the group. As time ticks on, they lose respect for the conch and its sound. The same is true for the idea and drive the boys have of escaping they rather stay and live with Jack in charge, and no hope of escaping. The sound is a theme that follows us throughout the book.

Are there any shifts or changes in nuances?
The shift I noticed is when Jack wanted to come. It changed it from an intense atmosphere between the two into a productive one. From all the times I've heard about the competitive relationship between the two it is new to see them working together.

Who's perspective isn't represented?
Well, there plenty of boys we haven't met, but the three that come to mind are Simon and the twins. From what the movie suggests we will see enough of all of them.

Broken Glasses

Back to top Go down

Post by A Acheson Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:02 pm

How does organization contribute to meaning?
In chapter 1 of "Lord of the Flies", Golding decided to start out with Piggy and Ralph meeting each other before anyone or anything else. In class, I remember the discussion of each character's representation. I believe that we discussed that Piggy represented intelligence while Ralph represented leadership, order, and workmanship. Having two people meet that have these qualities is significant in itself. When two people meet that have these qualities, it causes a different relationship than what it starts out to be. To create a relationship is important because they sometimes clash, but most of the time, they work well together. Working well together is a key in this book since Piggy and Ralph found each other first before anyone else.

A Acheson

Back to top Go down

Post by Manthan21 Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:20 pm

Where does the leave matters unstated?

The author does not tell the reader why piggy introduced him self as piggy. All piggy said was to not call him the name they called him back at school which was piggy. But piggy left out why he did not say his actual name.

How can the meaning be altered?

the character in the booked named roger is described as a "dark boy". and when you think of dark boy most people might think of a race or physical trait, but what the author means as in evil.

I think the author titled the chapter he did because the shell plays a big roll in the story, and symbolizes or represents something. I think it represents power and respect. it is how they get people to talk in a civilized way and call certain meetings

Mutter(18)- If someone mutter the speak softly to not be heard

Shimmering(10)- if something is shimmering then it glistens

Decorous(15)- if someone is decorous they are restrained and polite

Manthan21

Back to top Go down

Post by fwcarlitos_ Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:14 am

Where the text does leaves matters uncertain or unstated?
The text leaves matters unstated on page 11 when Piggy is asked for his name by Ralph, and he being a key character of the history doesn´t give his actual name instead he gives the name he’s most known as even though he doesn’t like being called as Piggy because his physical appearance.. Without rules and order, people like Piggy get squashed. With Ralph and the conch, everyone gets a fair chance. If he's holding the conch, it doesn't matter if he's fat or he’s physical complexture might not be the best. His voice matters just as much as anyone else's no matter what.
When is figurative language and to what effect?
Figurative language is used in pg. 7, in this passage: "All round him the long scar smashed into the jungle was a bath of heat." There was the used the phrase "long scar smashed" which in my point of view Golding wanted to express the area the airplane Ralph and the other boys were traveling in crash on. In this passage the author sues the word “scar” as way to show the mark this big accident left not only on the boys but always on the environment.
Mirages (pg. 25) - "Now, toward the end of the afternoon, the mirages were settling a little." - an optical illusion caused by atmospheric conditions
Clamor (pg. 22) – “Jack started to protest but the clamor changed from the general wish for a chief to an election by acclaim of Ralph himself.” -If there is a clamor, there is a group of people shouting loudly.
Obedient (pg. 20) - "Wearily obedient, the choir huddled into line and stood there" - to comply with or follow the commands, restrictions, wishes, or instructions of

fwcarlitos_

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down